Random Acts of Chaos
• Royal Neighbors CEO featured on national cable network program – Check out this link to Cynthia Tidwell’s recent appearance on “The Balancing Act” on Lifetime Television. Lifetime bills itself as “the network for women” and what better individual and organization to address financial planning issues unique to women than Cynthia and Royal Neighbors? I’m hoping this will inspire you to seek out opportunities in your local media markets to promote the importance of financial planning and the value proposition fraternals offer consumers who want more than just an insurance policy.
• Having been educated by the Sisters of St. Mary and the Christian Brothers of Ireland, I consider myself smarter than the average bear when it comes to English grammar. (See an earlier posting about my reaction to a flight attendant’s admonition to “not conjugate in front of the bathroom.”) So I got a particular kick out of this piece about frequently misused idioms…
• If you attended the Alliance’s 2014 Annual Meeting in Austin, Texas, you no doubt remember Kim Lear, the Millennial who delivered a knockout keynote address to close the session. Kim’s organization, BridgeWorks, LLC, publishes a terrific electronic newsletter called “GENBUZZ” that provides some fantastic insights into the quirks, trends, and buying habits of the variety of generations we’re all attempting to attract. Here’s a link to the latest issue. I strongly suggest you – or someone from your society – subscribe to this publication.
• Congratulations to the Iowa Fraternal Alliance for conducting another successful “Day on the Hill” event in Des Moines last month. Representatives of fraternals doing business in Iowa met with nearly one-third of the State Senate and one-fourth of the House of Representatives during their breakfast session, which featured an address from the President of the Senate. You can view photos and learn more about the event on the IFA’s FaceBook page: www.facebook.com/IowaFraternalAlliance. Hats off to IFA President Leah White of Modern Woodmen of America and all the IFA member societies for organizing and participating in this important political advocacy initiative.
• “Ignoring the facts doesn’t change them.” - Andy RooneyHope to see many of you at an upcoming Alliance Mid-Year Meeting. If you haven’t yet registered for one of these educational sessions, there is still time (although space for the Executive Summit and the Fraternal/Communications Meeting is now limited). Just go to the Mid-Year Meeting page on the Alliance website.