Two Fraternal CEOs Top National Underwriter’s “Industry Heroes” List
July 28, 2014The CEOs of two fraternal benefit societies – Cynthia Tidwell of Royal Neighbors of America, and Carl Anderson of the Knights of Columbus – topped National Underwriter’s list of “13 insurance industry heroes you need to know.” We can’t think of a better way to acknowledge the incredible contributions fraternals make to the lives of their members or the quality of life in the communities in which those members live. We also can’t think of two more deserving – or divergent – individuals for NU to include on its list. Cynthia and Carl lead societies that showcase the broad spectrum of fraternal “common bonds” and demonstrate the fraternal business model’s ability to appeal to a wide range of individuals who share core values and a commitment to making the world just a bit better. The NU editors noted that “Like medicine or social work or education, insurance is an industry that performs everyday miracles. There are many heroes in this line of work, most of them unsung. These are the true success stories, the ones that leave behind a legacy.” Here are just a few highlights from the NU story (click here for the full story):
- “I was attracted to the mission of the organization, the idea of combining charitable outreach and Church and community service, with the idea of protecting the financial stability and future of Catholic families.”
- “My work entails focusing both on the enormous charitable outreach we do and on the top-rate insurance program that we provide to our members. We have seen solid growth in our charitable giving and our insurance business over the past decade and a half.”
- “We work hard at what you might call mission integrity. The Knights of Columbus was founded to protect the financial future of Catholic families and to provide charity to those on the margins of society. Today, those same principles are at work in every aspect of our business. It is this continued commitment to our foundational principles that is the key to our ethical, sustainable, and successful business model.”
- “Royal Neighbors is one of the largest women-led life insurers in the U.S. I am charged with continuing our vision of protecting women financially and empowering them to improve their lives, families, and communities.”
- “Our philanthropic efforts are geared toward empowering women to get to a better financial place in three specific ways: our financial protection products, financial education, and philanthropic programs that help women ‘learn to fish."
- “Being able to lead a great business while also giving back and being socially responsible is a wonderful combination. It feeds my passion of educating women about financial matters and making a difference where it counts – in neighborhoods across the country.”